21 December 2010

The Perfect Pancake

I know I said, forget pancakes, but we do, occasionally eat pancakes.In fact, we've found an oatmeal pancake recipe, we really enjoy from The Mennonite Country-Style Recipes & Kitchen Secrets.

When I first came across the cookbook, I chuckled. Many of the recipes are things I'd never dream of cooking, but I've discovered that there are many others that are simple and with a few tweaks make amazingly great food.

This recipe for maple oatmeal pancakes is one of those recipes. Simple and hearty, these pancakes cook up beautifully every time. I often mix it up by adding shredded apple or whole wheat flour and, of course, when the recipe calls for sugar - I substitute pure granulated maple sugar.

Maple Oatmeal Pancakes
 Adapted from the cookbook Mennonite Country-Style Recipes

~ 3/4 Cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Granulated Maple Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 Cups Quick Oats
2 Eggs (beaten)
1 3/4 Cups Buttermilk 
1/4 Olive Oil


Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In a smaller bowl combine mix ingredients. Then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing until only moistened. Cook on a hot pan until browned on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment